Monday, October 27, 2008



Some things endure



Let me say this, Worry is a useless emotion. It achieves nothing and sometimes people confuse it with normal concern; a healthy concern is just that, healthy.

I don't have an answer to the current financial concerns, who does? I guess, even more and more we are seeing the wisdom behind that old saying "Save for a rainy day".

I believe the answers, as always, lie in history. Here's the problem as I see it. Our society is so wedded to the "have now, pay later" mentality and, combined with that, generations of people who have not grown up without a sense of shame when having to borrow small amounts of money.

When I was a teenager I thought that my grandparents Conservative Values were outdated nonsense. It's only in the last ten years that I can see how prophetic those views and their words truly were and just what they were trying to teach me. Their views were no accident, developed because of two World Wars with a Global Depression in between.

Let's face it, since the 60's we have all been spoilt by relative peace, brainwashed by the social engineers (Marxists) and by the introduction of the credit card, etc and now people are panicking and can't understand why a politically selfish and irresponsible move by the likes of ex Presidents Clinton and Carter to force lenders to give to those who could not pay back should now affect them on the other side of the world and affect their hard-earned superannuation.

There's your free market for you! The only advice I could offer you (not that you were asking for any!) is what I tell anyone who is "worrying" about the immediate future: Put simply, that this will sort itself out in time, and to face some facts -- like you can't have the ups without the downs -- and make sure to prepare yourself and your children and children's children to think carefully before they buy anything, maintain a disciplined work and saving ethic, SAVE MONEY/FORGET CREDIT on small items and live by the old rule of "Never a borrower or a lender be". All almost impossible to do in a capitalist society but you know what I mean.

My Grand Parents and Mother were never wealthy nor poor (Liverpool UK, Working Class) but they all owned their own homes and always had a good feed under the belt and plenty for visitors.

I think the word I am looking for in this sermon is "FRUGAL LIFESTYLE "......yes that's it. It will get better .....you can bank on it (pun intended).

No comments: