Thursday, June 19, 2014

Mission NOT Accomplished‏



I believe that if the Iraq Prime Minister, Nuri al-Maliki's Shi'ite-led government had not insisted that the US troops left back in 2011 and that the US President, Barack Obama had not been so compliant with the request, then the current civil war and quite possibly the sectarian implosion of the the Middle East would not be happening today. Nuri al-Maliki's was  still struggling with a delicate power-sharing arrangement between Shi'ite, Kurdish and Sunni parties, leaving Iraq vulnerable to meddling by Sunni Arab nations and Shi'ite Iran and of course the interests of Syria. Sure puts truth to the adage , "Careful what you wish for, for you might just get it."

Seems like a Vietnam all over again but this time, unlike Vietnam the US may just have to go back in and try to sort these warring sides out. Another damn waste of lives of course and I sure as hell hope that our PM stays well and truly out of this mess; we just do not need to be there. We'll no doubt do our best when it comes to humanitarian aid and refugee placement.
I hope I am wrong but I think this is just the beginning and that this conflict will set off a conflict that will engulf us all...... please I hope I am wrong!

No comments: